Hello and welcome to the 4th installment of "Preparing for your headshot photoshoot." Today's topic is hair and makeup. While this mainly focuses on women there are a few tips for the fellas at the bottom. That being said lets get started. Ladies you may be asking "Why should I get a professional to do my hair and makeup? I already know how to do it. Plus it's just a headshot." That's a great question. There are a few great reasons.
- A good makeup artist knows how to enhance your best features and minimize anything else. Making you look your best.
- Hairstylists know how to make your hair look healthy and natural at all angles without it being over done. No more flat, dull, or bad hair day
- Makeup artists know how to apply makeup specifically for photographs. This means they know where to give your face more definition. Where to lighten. Where to smooth. Making it so that you look good from any angle. This also helps to create a more dimension since the camera flattens its subject.
- Hairstylists know the best look for your hair type and face shape. Whether you have a long, round, oval, square, heart or diamond shaped face they know what works best.
- Makeup artists and Hairstylists use professional equipment. This helps guarantee a great final product that will last the entire shoot. Every day hair and makeup products a great for EVERYDAY use but sometimes don't last in a photoshoot type setting. Remember the camera freezes the moment, meaning we see every last detail. Details like the mascara clumps, eyeliner smudges to foundation lines under the jawline and more.
- Professional makeup will help reduce hot/oily spots. Sometimes it gets hot and you may start to perspire or some people might have naturally oily skin. When the flash goes off this creates a hotspot in the photo. Making it a not very flattering photo.
- Both can help maintain the hair and makeup throughout the photoshoot. This helps keep retouching to a minimum.
These are but a few reasons why you should consider a hair and makeup artist. You still might be wondering why you would need this for a headshot. Think of it this way. Your headshot is not just your headshot. It is your personal brand. It say more about you in less time it takes someone to read your bio. Whether you work for a fortune 500 company or you own your own business or any where in between, the image is of you and your brand. You always want to make sure you are putting your best digital foot forward when it comes to your image and personal brand. Having a professional hair and makeup artist does all that and more. The benefits will definitely out way any cost.
As promised gentlemen! Brace yourselves! Nah, just kidding. Although you may not need a hair and makeup artist you do need to make sure you are well groomed. Meaning if you decide to get a haircut get it a week or so before your shoot not the day before. This helps insure that you wont have a bad hair day the day of the shoot. Also maintain your beard if you have one. Make sure that it is trimmed and looking proper. If you are clean cut make sure there is no five o'clock shadow. You want to be looking your best not like you just walked out of the forest
And that is it. Enjoy the rest of your day!